3 things I adore about this "recipe":
1. It takes less than 10 minutes to make
2. It can give plain or leftover chicken new life
3. It stays well for weekly meal prep
I won't lie, there are a few particular things that get under my skin. One of them really being throwing away food 😩😭.
I am fortunate to be able to buy the food that I want when I want to and I know there are thousands of people all over the world who do not have this type of easy access. It completely irks me to throw away unused sauces or uneaten leftovers.
This creation came about this afternoon as I was staring at a day-old, cold, half-eaten rotisserie chicken from Costco (so you know it was a big one!) in my refrigerator.
Cold rotisserie chicken makes for great chicken salads or to be added to soups. To me, it tastes pretty nasty reheated and eaten just by itself...
It took about 10 minutes and only a handful of ingredients. You can use leftover rotisserie chicken you may have on hand or choose to pre-make a batch of shredded chicken ahead of time to make this! FYI, shredded chicken takes about 20 minutes only in the Instant Pot 😉 (my latest obsession). It also works well as a base with tuna for tuna salad.
8-10oz Shredded Chicken
1/4c Nonfat Greek yogurt
2tbsp Avocado Oil Mayonnaise (can sub for regular mayo)
1-2 Small mandarin oranges
1/2 Red Onion
1. Place shredded chicken to large mixing bowl
2. Cut up mandarin orange into small pieces, trying to preserve as much juice as possible.
3. Chop red onion into small pieces and add to bowl with chicken.
3. Add yogurt, mayo, and chopped up oranges, into bowl with chicken.
4. Season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste.
Enjoy on a sandwich or over your favorite grain or mixed greens! I had it over quinoa with avocado on the side. The quinoa gave the dish a nice crunch and the avocado complimented the refreshing citrus flavor 👌🏼.
Macros for 1/2 of recipe:
279 calories; 25P/9C/13F