I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with Kabocha Squash...
I love and enjoy the final product, but the prep is nothing short of a pain in the toosh! Good thing it makes so much at one time. I also love the nutrition content for the volume of squash you get - about 1 cup of Kabocha yields just 40 calories and only 7g carbs!!! This is about half in comparison to a Butternut Squash. When it comes to winter orange side dishes, I am definitely #TeamKabocha.
*Preheat squash on a microwaveable safe plate for up to 10 minutes or until soft enough to cut easily. (Pierce holes with fork or sharp knife first so it doesn't, you know, blow up in your microwave...)
*Be prepared to get M E S S Y when prepping
*Enjoy topped with peanut or almond butter and sugar free syrup for a sweet/savory comfort deliciousness *drool*
-Whole Kaboacha Squash - cleaned
-1tbsp Coconut Oil (liquid or melted solid version, or use any other type of oil)
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Preheat squash in microwave (see "Tips" above). Let cool to room temp.
2. Once cooled, slice squash in half. Using a large spoon, scoop out seeds and discard (or save and roast!)
3. Slice the squash in quarters like melon sliced. Cut up into smaller cube pieces for even roasting, or keep in large "slices".
4. Spread pieces out on baking sheet and brush with coconut oil. Sprinkle with sea salt, cumin, and cinnamon.
5. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until roasted to your liking. I like it with a crispy brown finish.